Congratulations on your new puppy!
The lifetime of love and strong bond you will share with your dog begins the day you bring your puppy home. Bringing your new puppy home is an exciting time, but there are certain essentials you will need to know to ensure your new puppy remains healthy. At Iowa Veterinary Wellness Center, we are your best partner to help keep your puppy healthy so that you can enjoy their companionship for many years to come.
Puppy Wellness Exams
During your puppy’s first visit, our veterinarians will perform a thorough physical examination. Since puppies require extra special pediatric care, we will tailor a disease prevention plan (such as for vaccinations) specific for you and your puppy’s needs. You can learn more about our puppy vaccine schedules by visiting our vaccination page.
Your puppy’s first exam will also include:
- Screening for internal and external parasites
- Deworming as needed
- Recommendations for flea & tick prevention
- Nutritional counseling
- Recommendations for microchipping options
- Creation of a lifelong preventive health care plan
- Recommendations and options for veterinary insurance plans
- Recommendations for socialization and puppy kindergarten classes
Your pet’s first exam is also the perfect time to go over your concerns and answer any questions you have about how to care for your new puppy. Our veterinarians will review topics such as diet and nutrition, behavioral issues, house training, and tips on how to integrate your new puppy into your home.